Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Polymath

My friend reaches across discipline, plucking ideas, events and folklore at will to pepper his conversation. Listening is a pleasure, contributing is daunting, and I wish I could make notes so I could pass off his effortless pansophy as my own at a later date. I drink lager, which emboldens me to stop doubting myself and loosens my tongue, and I manage one or two profound observations which make him pause with delight as he approves them, or failing that I make simplistic profane proclamations, which disarm him with charm and primitive logic.

I make my excuses, and get into bed.
"It's unfair," I text. "I am at heart and head a basic man, but one cursed with the awareness to realise this. He makes me panic that I am trundling along, ignorant, coarse, phlegmatic. I am the most learned person in this bed though, so this is where I am."
[I mentioned I’d been drinking lager]

The next day, my friend heads to Oxford, to try and convince a famous Don to take him on as a protégé. I drop him off ten miles outside of Oxford on the hottest day of the year – "It's a pig of a city to drive into, and you'll have fun, walking, hitching, whatever" – and return home, with a sense that Something Must Be Done, rather than disappearing down the plughole of fatuousness without even a struggle.

I pluck books off the shelves – "this is the tragedy, the books are already here, at your fingertips" – and start to devour them in the sun.
"This is the stuff: learning! Experience, wisdom; you can only coast along with them for so long without refuelling."
I remind myself of the horrors of Gallipoli, why I prefer Gladstone to Disraeli, Kubla Khan, whether I should become a humanist or if actually I am one already, and who is who in Darfur.

Eventually though, I find I lie on my back, and watch birds and clouds. My brain slows, like an unwound clock, and I contemplate my insecurities as the moment stretches out to a half hour. Claiming a thirst for knowledge is all good and well, but suppose if it were me heading to Oxford, really I know it would be an Inkling existence that I would seek out, dillydallying in meadows and writing silly stories. I see the cat lazing in the sun, and it's not the busy ants I envy.

And that night I text "and so my occasional hanker for study is swiftly quenched and ignored once more; ultimately I am a creature of decadence, unstrenuous cogitation, of indulgent solace. And for now, I am okay with that."
[I had drunk more lager]

9 comments:

Brennig said...

What's wrong with dillydallying in meadows and writing silly stories?

Shane said...

This post is a good example of what you're good at. Like the horse man said, what's wrong with the dillydallying. At risk of provoking you... from this vantage point, the dillydallying suits you. And the rhythm to much of your writing here, is perfectly summerish.

Jane said...

Are you planning on writing again? Just so I know.

Kay Wiz said...

Appreciation for your friends mind is something I find my self doing. Just remember you have followers because You are unique.
Sometimes I have a hard time understanding you but that's because I'm a beginner. Just saying, do you .....

Pramod Negi said...

Great blog really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog...
cheap flights to colombo
flights to colombo
colombo flights

jamaica coffee said...

This publish is a excellent example of what you're excellent at. Like the equine man said, what's incorrect with the dillydallying. At chance of invoking you... from this standpoint, the dillydallying you wish. And the beat to much of your composing here, is completely summerish.
Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee roasted beans

Chaussures Nike Femme said...

Owning a pair of superior headphone is the dream of every music lover, youre able to have the chance to make the dream come accurate for those who get dr dre beats headphone Sac Hermès. The excellent mixture of definition and design will be the superb monster beats headphone. The dream is a desire Monster Headphones, monster beats By Dre and wishes the blossom is also bouquets, dream, the day prior to you leave hybridization with sincerity, Monster Beats By Dre been anticipating you to reduce!
The flower falls, heartbroken, tears coagulation jammed, dont would like to wake up, continually in Monster beats by dre dreams delays for the bloom Sac Hermès Pas Cher. Reviewing the past, neither, bloom I Monster beats by dre headphones adore time, move you by. Once those youthful pledge affordable dr dre headphones, Beats By Dre Graphite For sale in using the wind moved slowly from treetops windward, petals, permit this to belong to a lasting relation the picture Sac Hermès Kelly. In the deep in the lovesickness thousands of times, Monster Beats by Dre Graphite for Sale by way of the crying of unhappiness, but cant speak of beats by dre Graphite For Sale; Due to you, happiness is not true, a darkness. Given that person inexpensive dr Sac Hermès Birkin. dre beats Beats By Dre Graphite understand what telephone call lonely, taste alone;

Four said...

Thank you for sharing.by Andy and FSN

Anonymous said...

溪頭民宿
溪頭住宿
補財庫
斬桃花
招桃花
追蹤器
衛星追蹤器
徵信器材
監視系統
姓名學
八字
八字免費
姓名學免費
免費姓名學
妖怪村民宿
妖怪村住宿
妖怪村
花蓮民宿
台中住宿
日月潭民宿
台中室內設計
台中室內設計
軸承
銑刀
網路開店
算命
姓名算命
算命免費
免費算命
八字算命
LED路燈
太陽能系統
團體制服
制服訂做
聲寶服務站
歌林服務站
台中美食
生巧克力
乳酪蛋糕
堆高機
職業工會
工會健保
公所健保
工會勞保
通風設備
阿里山高山茶
阿里山茶
阿里山烏龍茶
眼線
月下老人