Sunday, August 31, 2008

Home Is Where The Herts Is

Paradise City, my new home, is not actually a city, and I have been regaling anyone who will listen with this fact (about five people then. You are number six, internet) ever since I discovered it, which wasn’t really until just before I arrived. It seems that when the town was being built – really quite recently – rather than provide the amenities which are commonly considered part of the criteria of city status (say, an airport, a university, or even a highstreet), this whole irksome set of criteria could be circumnavigated by just putting “City” in the town’s name, thus misleading the likes of me. It is, I suppose, akin to christening your son Sir Daniel from the get go, hence removing any pressure to strive for greatness.

I have heard it said that when the Paradise City’s designer set out his town, he decreed that each house should have its own apple tree. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but my garden certainly has one, and it is currently weighed down by a score of near ripe fruit. And not measly crab apples or something. No, these are large tennis ball-sized – or, if you prefer, apple-sized – apples. If I liked apples, it would be brilliant.

As I type, the purr of Cub the cat rumbles behind me. Cub is old, very calm and a little infirm, and since I had to feed him for a week while his family were away we are pretty good mates. It’s raining tonight, and a tired looking Cub asked to come in. He refused the use of my bed though, instead preferring to curl up in a suitcase.

And so, here I am. I have my house; I finally have a car again after years of going without; something resembling the start of a career; a garden full of apples; and my room resonates with the deeply pleasing acoustics of a cat’s purr.

And yet…

5 comments:

Chris Cope said...

And yet you live in a place that causes people to instinctually sing, "...where the grass is green and the girls are pretty" before breaking into an iconic guitar riff.

Tweeeeeet! Doo doo-doo doo-doo doo-doo-doo...

fwengebola said...

Stop having a bloody normal life, damn you.

Afe said...

And yet, you still miss the warm embrace of your childhood pet, Mr. Pebbles the Peacock.

Monica said...

Of course they chose to add the 'city' to the end, otherwise it'd be just 'Paradise' and that would be, I assume, even more misleading.

Tim-tambolini said...

I completely enjoy your writings and regret not visiting you more often. I long to see a place like where you live...I need to get off this continent!