Sunday, July 22, 2007

Capsicum Mountain

My cayenne chilli pepper crop is looking set to give me a bumper harvest. A worryingly large one really. When I sowed my seeds back in the spring, I was just thinking “it’d be nice to have a couple of fresh chilli peppers on hand to use now and again”. But every single seed seems to have taken hold and I’ve failed to kill any of the resulting twenty plants, four of which I’ve now given away to friends. That still leaves a fair few plants though, each of which is burgeoning with peppers.

I’m also unsure how hot these bad boys are going to be. I’ve asked a wise friend, who reckons cayennes weigh in somewhere between 30,000 to 90,000 on the Scoville Scale, and this not insignificantly wide range can vary not just from plant to plant, but pepper to pepper. I enjoy a bit of zing in my food, but I’m no masochist and if they do turn out all to be really hot, that’s a lot of spicy eating I’m going to have to do. For months and months.

So, I’m stocking up on Louisiana-style hot sauce recipies and the like so I don’t have a rotting crop on my hands. It is slightly more rock’n’roll than making jam I suppose. If you have any creative ideas (i.e. not merely just drying them out) what I can do with approximately 300 chilli peppers, let me know.

8 comments:

Chris said...

You can make chilli chutney, like a friend did. Takes some of the heat out whilst giving you an interesting condiment

deanne said...

You can give some to me :)

Although what I'll do with them, beyond sticking them in chili or burritos/tacos, I'm not sure.

Maybe I'll slip them to my enemies.

anonymouscoworker said...

I've got the same problem with jalapeƱos. I'm soaking some in olive oil to try to impart the spice to the oil.

Huw said...

D - I think that can definitely be arranged. Want a plant!?!?

Shane said...

Er... start a chilli collection?

VENUS said...

feed them to the birds. i kid you not, the birds eat these hot chillis here in singapore. or u can send them to me. :)

deanne said...

Yup I'll have a pepper plant!

Dancinfairy said...

Make chili oil, or chili vodka.