Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ikonwear

I have to go and buy a suit. To make it a bit easier to assess how well the suit suits, I wear smart shoes and a shirt to the shop. Coupled with my smartish jeans, I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror, and realise I’m the spit of someone heading out to drink WKD at a nightclub playing R’n’B ahead of getting into a fight at the taxi rank of a provincial high street. I despise that look, and am loathe to think anyone would suppose it was one I was sporting purposefully. After another embarrassed check though, I realise my hair is a touch too long and too lacking in product for me to look truly authentic, and nor am I doused in Joop aftershave.

9 comments:

Sister Louise said...

Oh I hate Joop and 'that look' and I always tell guys to leave off the gel, who wants sticky gloop on their hands when they are affectionately stroking ones barnet?!

Shane said...

D'y' want mayo' wi' that?

Will said...

I can't quite picture it - can you link to a suitable picture?

Curly said...

Yes, I think that a picture is needed. Can you re-create the look?

Buying suits is not really that fun, unless it's from a charity shop - because you can buy all sorts of other crap to go along with it.

Huw said...

Is it really that hard to picture? Just head to your nearest Yates Bar on a Friday night. I'm struggling to think of suitable search terms.

Goo said...

Joop!!!

That's funny.

Chris said...

Was the shirt a Ben Sherman? And surely you need a misplaced ear or eyebrow ring to complete the look. And when you say 'Provincial Town Centre' is the image you conjour in your head one of Craptown? I personally see someone staggering out of Flix at 3.30 am to pick a fight in the taxi queue

rivergirlie said...

always a shock to catch a glimpse of yourself and find you don't look even remotely like you think you do. happens to me aaaaall the time

Lucy said...

I believe it's spelt Joop! So there's my intelligent input.