Monday, February 12, 2007

Revelation

Trevor smirks in the face of my wordlessness. He purrs, blinking at me smugly, and headbutts my knee. The surprise has worn off now, but I am still trying to reconcile the reality with what I thought I knew. It is quite a shock, let me tell you, to find your neutered cat of eleven years rampantly shagging another cat on your drive. I’d just assumed since the snip he just didn’t want to do those things anymore, let alone actually do them. Subsequent research suggests I’d assumed wrong, what with him having enjoyed a couple of years of sexual maturity before his visit to the vet. I feel like we have been living a lie all these years, and I can’t help but wonder about all those nights where I thought he was just out chilling in the garden. I have a new item now to add to his list of interests of eating, stealing and fighting: Trevor, casual sex enthusiast. I suppose I don’t begrudge it him, and in some ways I am a little happy for him.

The randy lady cat shouts at the back door, and Trevor asks to be let out.

4 comments:

Sister Louise said...

That's nothing. We used to have three Persians who were half brothers. They were all neutered. I don't know if there was a lack of attractive female companionship on offer in the village, but they'd quite often hump eachother. Incestuous, gay, Persians. How about that?

Huw said...

That's the Channel 4 version of my story.

Megan said...

I must be leading a very sheltered life, as it also never occurred to me that a neutered cat would have an interest in casual sex. Maybe that is why my normally indoor cat has such a great fascination with the outside world as of late.

Astrid said...

Haha .. that is the funniest post I have read about cats in ages! Can we have more cat-tales, please?