Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Gaseous Exchange

The gasman puts a hazard sticker on the boiler, and forbids me to use it. It seems that although he is a gasman, he isn’t a gasman of sufficient calibre to fix the boiler. I speak to the landlady and I can tell she isn’t keen about having to get a high-ranking gasman out, so I fetch my scarf and hat and prepare myself for what could be quite a long wait.

The lack of heating I can, with enough layers, cope with, but the lack of hot water soon becomes an issue. After three days of kettle assisted Businessman’s washes, I reach the point where I begin to catch whiffs of myself. Not good, so I head round to Tufnell Park Towers with an assortment of biscuits which I plan to exchange for use of their washing facilities.

Tufnell Park Towers has a much more homely feel to it nowadays. My replacement has installed a bar in the corner of the living room which we could never quite decide what to do with, so I suppose on that basis alone he is a more than worthy replacement. From my perspective, an equally exciting development was the sheer amount of shampoos in the bathroom; I had bought my own with me, but in the face of such choice (I counted nine) it would have felt rude not to indulge. I apply a squeeze of each, including my own, onto each fingertip.

I emerge from the bath, fuzzy of hair and no longer able to smell myself, and find myself on auto-pilot, heading to my old room. Fortunately, my replacement is spared a shock as I pause on the stairs and realise what I am doing. George the Cat looks at me and meows in confusion, and I sheepishly head back to the bathroom to get dressed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, this saves me the effort of sending you an email or text to inquire about the boiler situation. I see it's coming along, "unurgently" as ever.

Anonymous said...

nine shampoos? what did your hair smell like afterwards?

Huw said...

Megan - Like a rainbow, scent-wise, i.e. bloody gorgeous.

AnonymousCoworker said...

I wonder then if shampoo is made from rainbows or if rainbows are made from shampoo?

deanne said...

STILL no hot water! Poor thing. What a shitter of a time of year for it to happen too.

Curly said...

Invite the footy team over for a kick-around in the living room. It'll heat up pretty quickly, but the downside is the smell, obviously.

Sister Louise said...

Get yourself a stinking cold like mine, then you won't worry about the smell, I nearly burnt the house down earlier without my nose. Poor me, poor you :-)

Yaxlich said...

Yaxlich got very excited when he saw the title of this post.