Saturday, May 20, 2006

Her Over Here

In less than a week from now, I will be receiving a very special visitor: Lanette will be flying in from the Lone Star State on the morning of the 27th. Naturally, I will be doing my best to make this country seem as strange and backwards as possible.

If only I could put into words how being able to say it’s less than a week away makes me feel; four months of essentially getting up, going to work, looking at the calendar, and urging another day to pass is finally nearing an end. But it would take a wordsmith much more skilled than myself to even begin to touch on what that means to me, so you’ll have to imagine. I’ve never willed time to speed past before – it seems like a rather wasteful way to spend said time – but I have to admit that’s what I’ve spent the majority of 2006 doing so far.

Whilst the itinerary seems to have eventually smoothly come together – and I’ve even, get this, scheduled a change of my bedsheets sometime this week – I’m starting to worry just a little bit about the weather. Back in the winter I was confidently proclaiming that June sees this little island bathing in a most agreeable climate, which shouldn’t disagree with a Texan’s sensibilities too much. And last week I was quietly confident about my predictions after London hit the 80F mark on more than one day. These past couple of days though, I’ve had to revert to coats and umbrellas whilst out and about and an extra blanket at night, and with the Atlantic seemingly providing us with an endless conveyor belt of constantly rubbish weather I’m a little less sure now of what we can expect as my previously brimming confidence starts to ebb. But as me and my mother agreed last night: with this recent nippy patch, we are guaranteed warm weather soon. That’s logic you just can’t argue with.

9 comments:

Jona said...

Weather's rubbish again here too. Hope your logic is right :o)

Chris said...

Chin up, always blue sky on the horizon and other such chirpy middle-classisms

Lauren said...

I'm soooo excited for Lanette's visit with you. Regardless of the weather, you'll both be willing time to slow down while she's there. I'll be sending good-weather thoughts your way. . .

Dancinfairy said...

This is the UK, one day blizzard, the next heatwave! I am sure you will barely notice the weather when she is with you!

LĂ©onie said...

I heard a heatwave is scheduled for next week. Well, pencilled in, at least.

Actually I didn't hear that, but I imagine it's probably true. I don't see any good reason why it wouldn't be.

Tim-tambolini said...

I'm with the fairy, you won't even notice the weather. I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about the visit!

AnonymousCoworker said...

Maybe she'll bring some of the Texas weather with her.

Old Horsetail Snake said...

Lanette will keep you warm, Old Chap. And be sure to show her some culture beyond your bed.

Curly said...

I agree with your Mother. No, I don't think that you should have gone to bed HOURS ago, but about the weather. It's time for some sunshine.

Otherwise, I'm thinking of inventing mobile heat-lamps that use ridiculous amounts of your phone battery.