Thursday, February 09, 2006

Showcase Students

The BBC’s Newsnight were at University Huw today, in order to give a basic spelling, grammar and maths quiz to some students as part of a segment on the declining basic academic standards of undergraduates as British universities desperately pursue as many (and any) students as they can cram into the lecture halls. Chests were proudly puffed when the students all past with flying colours, maintaining University Huw’s self-claimed "formidable reputation". I would never dream to suggest that the students were not selected randomly or that there was any cherry picking going on on behalf of University Huw, but had Kirsty Wark come to me looking for representative students I can’t help but wonder if the results would have been slightly different. 6 months into their university education, and some of my students still refuse to believe me that plurals do not automatically qualify for an apostrophe, no matter how much red ink I send their way (or, as they would insist on writing, " sent on, to over there way").

8 comments:

Tim-tambolini said...

I cannot believe the sorry state of grammar these days. My spelling is poor, but I like to think my grammar is pretty damned good.

Ivy the Goober said...

Hay, I came back too sea what you named your plant thingy, knot two reed some silly thing about stuff like grammers and speling. ;)

SelBel said...

Those on-high aren't immune from bad spelling! My teacher famously wrote in my school report home “her spelling can be a weekness” [sic].

Still makes me smile 10 years on…

Curly said...

I'm scared of UCL.

Me Over Here said...

Selective Bleeding. Heehee.

Chris said...

Tell me about it, I'm marking stuff now -humph-. Someone has genuinely used a '4' instead of the word 'four' in a piece of A Level coursework. Sweet Zombie Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Jeez Louise you're absolutely right Huw.

"students all past with flying colours"

Spot the deliberate mistake!!!

Huw said...

CRAAAAAAAP!