Sunday, December 25, 2005

Next Stop: Texas

Yuletide salutations blog fans.

That’s right, it’s a Christmas Day post. See, I’m not going to patronise you here by assuming you have better things to be doing today than blog reading and writing. Because I know, probably, you don’t. Unless you have travelling to be doing or you really like Christmas Day TV, around about now you have come to the conclusion there is not a great deal to do holed up in your house for a whole day. By now, you are also no doubt getting to the stage where you realise there’s a reason the family only all get together once a year or so. They don’t half make a lot of noise, eh? And so, you slink off to the computer.

I’m off on holiday tomorrow, so I’m finding myself in the rather unique position of actually having things to get done. Therefore, when we reached that part of the day where the wind seems to leave the sails of the proceedings – usually 10-minutes-after / two-minutes-into the Queen’s speech, depending on personal tastes – rather than knowing that I was faced with a good 9 hours of dozing and pottering round the house till the day ended, I could then start getting on with packing. That said, I still have allowed myself one too many dozes this afternoon, which probably won’t be a great help when I have to get to bed early in preparation for my 4am start.

My next task is to have as close a shave as I can manage. I don’t want customs to have any more reason than necessary to hassle me, and short of wearing a suit I think a clean cut image will help. That said, I have a good few hours to kill in Dallas, so maybe an interrogation would pass the time.

8 comments:

Daniel said...

I hope that you enjoy Texas. I have a real desire to go to the states and it is high on my list of places to visit.
Thanks also for the Christmas day post - it has made it more bearable as you appear to have a similar sort of Christmas to me.
All the best!

Jona said...

Travel safe, Huw! And have a super time :o)

emaleejayne said...

Have a great trip, Huw. Cant wait to hear about Texas!

Me Over Here said...

I'm counting down the hours. 10.5 to go. :-)

Tammy said...

I'm curious as to why you are visiting Texas and if it's your first trip to North America? Have a great time! Merry Christmas, and I hope you are still able to blog while you are away.

Curly said...

Woohoo!!

Alan said...

Have a great trip Huw.

Astrid said...

How much did they fuss about your shoes in Texas?

"It seems the airlines are allowing lighters to pass through security again. I’ve had one in my bag for the last three flights and I’ve been given no trouble at all. My Converse brand canvas shoes however, need to be x-rayed thoroughly. I think it’s a smell check. I think they’re more afraid that once on board I might remove my shoes and knock everyone out with my foot odor. You know, Toe cheese can be compounded with other common ingredients to make explosives. All you need is the proper combination of peanut salt (provided by the airline), foil from the peanut wrapper, and alcohol (also provided by the airline) to make the perfect packaged boom boom scary airplane toy. That’s not true. But try it anyway on your next holiday flight and see how it goes over. You might get an upgrade. In my case, I prefer the upgrade that ejects you from the plane and leaves you behind. This assures that I’ll have a day off as well as a good story to tell. As far as the lighter in my backpack, I no longer smoke. I collect fireworks instead." -Jason Mraz.