Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Of Craned Necks

After work on Saturday, I headed down to the river to watch the fireworks marking the end of the day’s Lord Mayor’s Show. Unfortunately, a few thousand people had had the same idea as me that Waterloo Bridge would be an excellent vantage point and by the time I arrived the crowd strung along the entire almost-quarter of a mile length of the bridge was about ten deep. It was, I suppose, quite a good display, but I kind of felt I was missing the point of it by being unable to see the impressive London skyline backdrop, let alone the barge in the centre of the river from which the fireworks were being launched. Instead I had to content with a foreground of bobbing heads and bobble hats which meant I could have been watching Fireworks any old where. Tall bastards, these Londoners.

Despite awkward scheduling, I still managed to catch the second half of the England Argentina match. The obvious talking points for me were (1) pundit Alan Shearer’s obscenely ill-fitting trousers, and (2) the tact displayed by the RAF in buying up some of the advertising hoardings…

8 comments:

Ivy the Goober said...

Awesome pictures :)

Me Over Here said...

Wow...Waterloo Bridge at night is beautiful. Quite a sight!

graculus said...

I worked for the show once. It was magic, but i always thought it was at the wrong time of year. Spring or summer would be better..... when it was warmer and less rainy

Curly said...

Shit, I missed it again.

I've never understood the Lord Mayors show myself - but it's not as though everyone in Wales was making a fuss about it.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

This picture is called the rockets' red glare, from the penultimate time the U.S. had to spank the English.

Cheri said...

*oooh. ahhhh*

Great firework photos!

Hey Oldhorsetailsnake, we don't bring up us spanking England anymore :)

Tammy said...

The pics made me even more determined to get off this continent and see another.

Shane said...

What a rocket! Glad to say I missed Alan Shearer's obscenity.