Monday, November 28, 2005

Not-Especially-Intellectual Copyright

A couple of months ago I was having lunch with my pal DCA, who works just around the corner from me. DCA was entertaining me with tales about the ugly women he feels compelled to sleep with. After some time, a lull in the conversation occurred.

"Say DCA, would you like to come over for Dinner Club tonight?" I sayed. You remember Dinner Club, reader. "You know, in case you haven’t had enough of watching me eat for one day."
"Nah, I can’t do nuffing tonight," said a stroppy looking DCA inhaling deeply on his fifth cigarette of the hour, "I’ve got this facking project to work on, ain’t I?"
"Oh yes. Who’s that for?" I asked. DCA works in advertising you see reader.
"Facking Bisto. Want to get rid of all that 97-year-old ‘Ahhh Bistshit’ facking shit wiv some facking new bollocks. But anyway, what’s this Dinner facking wotsit fing?"
And so, I began to fill DCA on the basic premise and philosophy of Dinner Club. As I spoke a distant look passed across DCA’s face. In itself, this wasn’t anything too unusual. DCA often seems distant. Not in a mysterious way though, readers. In a thick way.
"DCA? DCA A?"
"Nah, Nah. I woz listening. That doesn’t sound half facking bad actually."
"So, you want to come now?"
"Nah, Nah. Can’t. I’m still facking busy, ain’t I?"
"Ah," I said, "Bisto."
"Facking too right, facking Bisto."


I just saw the new Bisto advert.

Hmmmmmmm!

16 comments:

zilla said...

Wow! You're friend totally owes you royalties for that!

dotdotdot said...

Those ads seriously piss me off and now I know who to blame....

Curly said...

The punchlines get better eh Huw?!

We've sort of started an un-official branch of dinner club in Cardiff. I suggested kicked it off with a curry and a load of us join in now - It's pretty good fun actually!

Do we have to apply to become official members?

AnonymousCoworker said...

That ad seems awfully emotional for a can of gravy.

Mark said...

Hiya Matey....thanks for your words of support after my double lung transplant....I am starting to read your blog...but I must do it in chucks or it will take me all night! M

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Boy, I wish I had the Bisto account. I got just the slogan. We'd have the kid with the horn pouring Bisto into the horn, dribbling it through the mouthpiece onto his biscuit, and saying: "Ah Bisto. This is good shit." Could be produced for a lot less money, since we need only one model.

Chris Cope said...

I, too, pledge to consume gravy -- it is my patriotic duty.

Huw said...

hoe widda p - maybe I should arrange for some heavies to pay him a visit?

Kat - you mean, you have't set aside an ahh night?

Curly - Your starter pack is in the post.

AnonCoworker - Gravy is a beautiful thing.

Mark - Hmmm. Beware the archive vault. Tat lies within.

Hoss - keep that one close to your chest lest DCA nabs it. He does that.

Chris - a 28th Ammendment perhaps?

Monica said...

I don't know if "I read the blog of the guy who may have helped the guy who responsible for the new Bisto adverts" is going to help me pull, but I'll give it a shot!

Huw said...

Whatever it takes, eh Monica. I hear you.

Cheri said...

I can't put my finger on it, but they run ads like that over here in the states, but not for canned gravy. I actually think it's just a general service announcement.

I giggled at AnonCoworkers comment :)

Banksy said...

Hello Huw.

Sadly, I don't think you can copyright the idea of eating together.

Now, if you'd said to your mate that before your meal you watch a parade of social stereotypes with a background of syrupy muzak, then you might have an action against him.

I think all he owes you is a drink.

Jona said...

Have to say, I saw the advert a few days ago and it amuses me no end when it says 'to eat proper food' - yeah, 'coz that’s what Bisto is ;o)

Tammy said...

This story is hilarious. Your friend sounds like a real dolt. Hope he cuts you a cheque for some of his wages.

Shane said...

The basic philosophy behind dinner club is spectacular in its gorgeous simplicity. I see it as a social and dining concept that will open windows onto new and incredible views of the world. DCA might still be good for a free shed-load of gravy granules... it'd be a contribution. Try again I say.

deanne said...

I might be commiting some sort of blogger/social/intellectual suicide here by admitting this; but, I actually *like* the new Bisto ad.

*waves of scorn crash over Deanne*