Sunday, November 06, 2005

Football Content: Apologies

You can perhaps imagine my surprise to see Tony Blair making an appearance on Football Focus yesterday afternoon. Surprise, I emphasise, not excitement. You can perhaps imagine my tutting as I sat through his Man of the People and England Triumphing in 2006 spiels. You can perhaps picture my rolling of eyes as he was asked the question "Which three Premiership players do you most admire?", fully expecting as I was a conventionally unimaginative Shearer, Campbell, Lampard type trio. Certainly, you can imagine my surprise and bemusement then as Tony listed the rather atypical and understated troika of Wigan's Arjan de Zeeuw, Fulham's Steed Malbranque and West Ham's Teddy Sheringham. "What strange tick-all-boxes focus groups has he got together to form this curious threesome for him?" I wondered.

You can no doubt imagine my utter astonishment later that evening as I watched all three play absolute blinders on Match of The Day.

Tony Blair: next England Manager?

12 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

He's too busy explaing wars...

Curly said...

What's he doing spending all that time watching football anyway?

Alan said...

I can't see it myself, coz then Gordon Brown would want to do it too

josephknecht said...

It would begin so well, amid much fanfare, but performances would start to slip after the revelation that Blair had offered to step down after two terms to allow Steve McLaren the job in exchange for his support.

Jona said...

I'd rather have him as England Manager than PM ;o)

Cleavers said...

Tony Blair, football pundit? Bloody nora, has the UK gone mad since I've been away? And here's me thinking his biggest crime was being a Bush supporter!

Shane said...

Bit gutted that I missed that. What kind of managerial figure would he be? Tracksuit a la Cloughie, a Fergie/Souness shouter, Sven-/Wenger-calm, or dyed-his-hair-Gazza-blond-how-the-hell-did-this-happen?

I reckon we'd be looking at squad selection on the back of peoples' panels, consultation processes and dubious premises for strange formations. Not that you've really got me thinking about this or anything, you understand.

hope said...

I have no idea what any of that meant. it's wierd that there is such a difference between the way you speak and the way we speak in the USA. The fact that you are talking about football doesn't help since I don't really understand that, either. But then when you say football, are you talking about the game that WE call football, or are you talking about the game we call soccer? I'm so confused!

Huw said...

I speak of the game the WORLD calls football. The one where you kick a ball, with your foot.

Cleavers said...

Don't even get me started. I'm trying to convert the locals - I've got as far as people realising that when they talk to me, it's football not soccer. Their football is the game where boys are big girls blouses and have to wear body armour in case they mess up their hair.

AnonymousCoworker said...

I don't even follow sports in the US, and now I'm supposed to know what you're talking about?

(At the very least, I knew you were speaking of football football and not American football.)

Chris Cope said...

Sven's doing a crap job of it -- might as well give Blair a shot at tthe helm whilst Sir Clive is still learning the ropes (in honor of sport discussion, I have littered my comment with mixed metaphor).