Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Drips and Dabs

The good people of the BBC sent me an exclusive Digital* Radio today because apparently they think I'm ace and are totally smitten with me. Oh okay, so they sent it because I won a competition, but the details aren't important.

I announced the former fact proudly to my friend The Garfather.
"So," he responded flatly. "What are you going to do with this digital radio then?"
"Well, listen to the radio on it. Digitally," I replied, making a jazz-hands like gesture which I hoped indicated technology and perhaps the future.
"Hmmmm," he said.
"Digitally," I repeated authoritatively, this time pointing a finger which I hoped indicated this was the only way any serious radio listener should go about things.

So far me and the radio are getting on quite well, but in truth I had been a little worried about The Garfather's Hmmmm. I only listen to Xfm and Radio 4 together with Annie Mac on Radio 1 on a Thursday, all of which are catered for adequately by the analogue radios in my bedroom and kitchen, and so I was a little dubious about whether I'd make much use of this new radio and was thinking I'd give it to my mother. But over the course of the day I've become quite taken with my new toy, and am enjoying the blissfully disk-jockey-and-advert-free Zero 7- and-Royksopp-littered Chill immensely. Also, I am loving being able to pointlessly 'rewind' the radio no end, perhaps more than I should. That said, I must admit I was a bit perturbed to find I'm having to do a fair bit more aerial tweaking than I'd planned for (static being replaced by some off-putting turntablist scratching sounds). I don't know a great deal about these matters, but I'd sort of assumed digital technology would put an end to such things.

**************************************************************

Finally.



* I struggle to say digital properly. And tragedy. Something strikes me as inherently wrong about having a "ju" or a "ge" sound in the middle of a word being followed or preceded by Ts or Ds, and so - perhaps as a form of subconscious protest - I pronounce it like a drunk.

16 comments:

AnonymousCoworker said...

I do the same thing with the word "prodigy" always pronouncing it "progidy".

deanne said...

Sounds like it'd be worth an audio post to me!

mona said...

So you got a prize! almost like a dedication although not quite...

Monica said...

I've only been able to say "comforter" properly about twice in my life. Duvet's a helluva lot easier....

Kudos! Sudoku? Come on, 'fess up!

Curly said...

Congrats on the Radio.

Everyone knows that you pronounce things far better when you're drunk, so I can't see why it's a problem sounding like one?

Afe said...

One of my friends calls the radio a 'wireless'. I laugh and point at him every time.

Cleavers said...

What's digital radio?

North American regards.....

:-)

Me Over Here said...

I want to hear you say "Digital", and "tragedy", and "prodigy". And "garage", "vitamins", and "chocolate". Be prepared.

Dancinfairy said...

Ohh shiny!! Congratulations.

I was going to buy one for my mum but apparentky they don't get reception in the depths of Cornwall. But isn't that the point of digital? Weird.

I really want one so I can listen to Xfm all day.

Shane said...

I've never really been a fan of the Arsenal. I'm going to have to class that last link as a Seaman stain on your otherwise fine blog.

You've disappointed me Huw, you've disappointed me.

Huw said...

AnonCoworker - Likewise I am cautious round strategies. Can usually manage prejudice though. To say, I mean.

Dee - I am not documenting my speech impediment!

Mona - It has temporarily filled the dedication shaped hole in my heart. Temporarily.

Monica - "Kudos! Sudoku? Come ooooon, 'fess up!" sounds like it could be the chorus of the next Europop summer hit. Devise a dance and we'll be onto a winner.

Curly - You're my besh mate.

Afe - Thing is, they're blatantly NOT wireless, are they?

Cleavers - *adopts emphatic all knowing tone* Digital is Digital.

MOH - waaait for it.... Aluminium.

dancinfairy - I think there's something we aren't being told what with all this reception malarkey..

Shane - Seamen stained blogging is one of the perils of attempting multi-task interneting I'm afraid.

Lippy said...

You just keep practicing with that new fandangled dijidil thingummy. You'll get the hang of it. But it's good that you're pointing authoritatively about it. There's a plus.

Tammy said...

I find your new digital radio a bit ugly to look at. But good on you for winning it! Huw (the orange kitty) played in my dogs empty water dish for 30 minutes today. Round and round and round...

obb said...

Yep, I have the same problem with digital. Also Maddona for some strange reason. And don't get me started (or saying) Greg RUSEDSKI

deanne said...

Please - Huw, if I can get handle getting asked at least twice a week "So where are you from? I can't pick your accent..." (I think of my mashed accent as my own special speech impediment) then you can do an audio post, comprised entirely of the word 'digital'!

Adz said...

Try BBC 6 Music out, if you like Xfm, you should like as well!