Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Keep It Light, Eh Kids?


1st Year Seminar Leading

-Me: ....and that's why the whole concept of sexual orientation is a myth. Right, so now we've got that sorted, to help us get to know one another let's go round the group, and I want each of you to tell the rest of us a strange, interesting or little-known fact about yourself.
-1st Up: Ummm... during the summer I worked in Botswana teaching AIDS orphans how to read and write.
-Me: Ooooo.
-2nd Up: Today is my 19th birthday.
-Me: Oooo! Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to.... etc
-3rd Up: A close friend of mine died last week.
-Me: Dah... um.... ? Right. So... Next?

*********************************

9 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

"I had sex and got syphillis."

"I threw up -- TWICE -- on my best friend."

Yes, perhaps not the most perfect idea...

Anonymous said...

yikes, what DO you say to that?

Megan said...

Death is always a way to cause a good conversation to -ummm- croak.. I have this flat screen tv that I got when my grandparents died (it was in a car accident with them and was the only thing that survived), and people always ask me how I managed to afford it.. Either way, after that, the conversation is doomed because I either tell them (and make awkward small talk until we both finally give up) or I come across as an ass who refuses to talk about her tv.
I can't imagine using that as something to introduce myself with though... I usually stick with "I drive a neat car."

Harriet said...

so, We're the biggest, least beardy shoplifters it seems. Fantastic. We could introduce it as an olympic sport in 2012 - we might win!

deanne said...

Well now there's a conversation killer.

Shane said...

Oh wonderful! Just wait until you get to mark their essays! But really Huw, what were you thinking? They were Psychology students and you're inviting 'strange', 'interesting' or 'little-known' facts about them. Just glad you didn't respond to 3rd Up with a panic rendition of Happy Birthday.

You didn't did y'.

Curly said...

I ran over a close friend of someones last week...

(watch the comments fly in)

Huw said...

I didn't let rip with another rousing Happy Birthday rendition, no.

But I did have to stop myself asking: "Violently, or...?"

Ivy the Goober said...

In college I invited a brand new friend up to my dorm room and we hung out with other dorm room pals eating popcorn and getting to know each other. She turned to me and said, "So what does your dad do?" I said "Nothing, he's dead." I did not mean for it to come out that way, but it was DEFINITELY a conversation stopper.