Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Bargain. Cracked Teeth Notwithstanding

Ever feel that fate is rooting for you to… well, not exactly fail, but remain steadfastly stood still?

Following a good 2 hours spent in the gym today, you can perhaps imagine the self-satisfied glow that surrounded me earlier. Sure, my arms were pretty sore, but that’s all part of the parcel. And then, what goes and stops me in my tracks?

Only the butcher nextdoor selling the BIGGEST bag of pork scratchings ....you.... ....have.... ....ever.... ....seen.... ....in.... ....your.... ....life. And for the bargain price of 99p.




Oh mama.

Salty pig skin, why must you tempt me so?

12 comments:

This Texan said...

Right.

You eat that? I must say, that looks most unappealing. However, if "pork scratchings" are anything like pork rinds, then I would be in for munching on a few.

They just...don't...look...the...same. At all.

Right.

Huw said...

I think they're the same sort of thing.

As ever, I turn to trusty wikipedia, which claims they are indeed one and the same.

However, perhaps these are better described as being 'crackling' rather than scatching, which is apparently the thicker, bigger and harder version.

Jona said...

Oh Yum! I can never get my crackling to crack :o(

I didn't know butchers did this, I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow ;o)

Shane said...

'Salty pig skin'. Hmm, I believe we just discovered marketing to be your calling.

I hear the Federation of British Black Pudding Suppliers (FBBPS) have a contract coming up. Give them a call - 0113 PIG-WHAT.

Afe said...

Mmm, crackling. It's crispy heaven.

Thomas said...

Cheerio from Houston.

emaleejayne said...

I wish I wouldn't have eaten breakfast before I read this.

Your description of scratchings was most horrendous: big thick hard salty pig skin. Ugh.

Huw said...

You what emaleejayne? Some of them still had piggy hairs on them.

Yummy.

deanne said...

*Bleeuuuuuuuurggghhhhhhhhh*

Jaysus, you know I throw up easily.

*Bleeuuuuuuuurggghhhhhhhhh*

Curly said...

Were these fine scratchings accompanied by an equally fine beer? Shame if they weren't...

emaleejayne said...

Thats nothin' compared to the feather I found in my chicken sandwich the other day.

Chris Cope said...

Whose 1988-style grandma sunglasses are those in the background? Stylish.