Thursday, September 22, 2005

Adaptations

I dunno how closely any of you weirdos who frequent this place (whoever you are) read this, but you may or may not know that I now work and teach at the University I myself was once - not so long ago - a student at.


This is by and large a good thing. It keeps me occupied at least. Thoughts like “am I ever going to escape this place?” rarely plague my mind. What is taking a bit of getting used to though is my change in status from that of scruffy layabout to scruffy member of staff.

Meetings with Profs who I still can’t help being a little scared of lest they spring a tricky question on me, emails from formerly seemingly very dour staff members which read “It’s Thursday!!! Woooo HoOOooooOOo! That means Thursday drinking club, yeah! See you in the pub at 5!”, and finding myself having to chat amiably to the staff member who gave the nervous 18-year-old me quite a hard time in my interview. All these things require adjustment.

It is also apparently not the done thing for staff members to laze about on the lawns openly staring at the girls. Blast.



Sidenote: There are benefits of course. Someone came into my office today and gave me a couple of glasses of Cava from the MPhil graduation party going on nextdoor. That never happened in my student days. We had to steal it.

7 comments:

Chris Cope said...

If I wasn't allowed to stare at women I would refuse to work there.

Lanette said...

Yep. Your lack of women-staring poses much of a problem, it sounds like. SO sorry for you.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Is it legal to suggest to the girls that they drop out of school so they can come to your wild parties?

Chris said...

At Cricklade I have developed the art of surreptitious staring, for aesthetic purposes only of course

Curly said...

Do you get your own office? That would be pretty nice eh?

Huw said...

No sole office for me I'm afraid: sharing with 3 ladies. I run a pretty tight ship though; if any of them step out of line I just threaten to do some PhD chapter deleting...

Shane said...

Hearing lecturers say 'fuck' for the first time, hearing of their love-life crises, and discovering the Big Brother anoraks that lurked within were all epiphany moments for self.

The staring issue requires further research.