Thursday, August 11, 2005

You can run from the police, but you can't run from the law

About 18 months ago, for a time me and my then housemates became minorly obsessed with Sheriff John Bunnell, the overly earnest yet entirely hilarious host of ‘The World’s [for World read America’s] Wildest Police Chases’, as seen on the early-late night schedule on Five. From his resolute pro-police stance, through to his awfully laboured puns, down to his need to start any sentence by putting his scene in context (“New York City, New York State” he helpfully informs us), and back to his slight Daffy Duck American lisp, few offer more in the entertainment stakes. It became customary to adopt Bunnell speak, even when alone (“London, England. THIS guy thought he was just going to CLEAN his teeth with fluoride FREE toothpaste, but this BRUSH with the LAW left a sour TASTE in this lawbreaker’s MOUTH. And the finest State TROOPERS will be sure not to FLOSS over the details of this particular FELONY”)



Hence my extreme JOY to discover this SITE. If you’re a Bunnell fan, you’ll love it. If you don’t know who I’m talking about it, you’d best forget it.

6 comments:

Lanette said...

Never, would I be able, to come CLOSE to thinking of something as damn funny as that! Thanks for making me laugh out loud at my desk and have everyone wonder "Is she REALLY working?"

You got him to a tee! As I re-read your mock police report, I inserted his voice (as I am an avid watcher of World's Wildest Police Chases, and shudder at his hortastic puns) and could NOT stop laughing. What a way to end my day. Thanks, Friend

Claire said...

How freaky...I know the guy that runs that site! Used to visit quite a lot until I had a bust up with his girlfriends sister and things spilled out all over the very nice forum he's got going there!

...I was going to refer you to that site aswell when I started reading your post...think I'm going to try finding my way out of the Twilight Zone now!

deanne said...

Ahaha! You know, I've never even SEEN the show, but I know exactly the sort of voice over you're talking about!

Like the news:
"Good evening, I'M Firstname Lastname. ON TONIGHTS news [complete with head jiggles]"

y-vonne said...

You guys are weird....

Curly said...

That's an awesome site! He's the type of guy that you shouldn't be able to stand but he somehow ends up being a complete legend!

Shane said...

YOU certainly delivered on this blog post Sonny. I par-TIC-ularly liked this line:

'Its like looking for a 80 mph needle in a skyscraper haystack'

Now it's STRAIGHT back to WORK for me.