Monday, August 01, 2005

Old Love

Former Love Interest has moved to nearby Kentish Town, and so last week we met up for a few drinks. Despite the whole failed attempt at a having-a-thing thing, we still seem able to get on fine and, that most rare but rewarding of things, still seem to be on the same level. We made each other laugh in equal measure, there was a good degree of mutual piss taking, and she even had the good grace to share my suppressed excitement upon seeing Tessa Jowell at the bar in a stunningly white suit, although she frowned upon my suggestion that we flicked blue candle wax on it.

But at the same time, what made it even better was that although this was someone I used to be crazy about, now she was just someone who I found attractive and could click with. The lack of pressure meant I could just kick back and enjoy myself, and spend the evening still being utterly charmed but not being utterly captivated as I once would have been. No expectation and no hopes make for a much more pleasurable evening. I didn’t ask about The Town Planner, and she didn’t mention him, so I was unable to determine whether that one is still live. On the basis that pessimism helps one to avoid disappointment, I decided to assume it was still going strong.

At the end of the night, I got a little surprise. As we parted, we went for the whole standard kissie-cheekie thing, and I was surprised when instead she planted a kiss on my mouth. Not a snog by any means, but a grade or so above a peck. Admittedly, I’m an old hand at slyly turning the proffered cheek into the sneaky lips at the last moment, but I honestly didn't instigate it.

I could tell as soon as it happened it was something I’d be able to shrug off and avoid over analysing or dwelling on [he says as he writes about it a good week later…], but nonetheless it was certainly enough to put a spring in my step as I headed home. Stopping off to take a leak in Zane Lowe’s front garden, I ruminated on the strange sensation of some of the old feelings of exhilaration and confusion awakening and rushing round my brain, just as they used to.

7 comments:

deanne said...

I'm so glad you pee'd on Zane Lowe (wiener).

deanne said...

(To clarify - Zane is the wiener, not you!)

Lanette said...

For some reason, all that went through my head after (well, and during) the reading of this post was "Awww, that's so SWEET" (like the dumb girl that I am). I love those butterfly feelings you get when you see an old flame and wonder how it will be. Glad you had a good time. Glad you peed, too.

P.S. Sometimes I feel like I need an "English to English" dictionary when I read your blog. Oftentimes, I just pass over the stuff I assume is "Brit-speak". Still, I find it extremely charming. That is all.

Shane said...

It may have been a grade or two above a peck, but in emotional kissy kissy terms (technical language) that's high grade plutonium kissing. Wear protective clothing young man. Wear it always! This F.L.I. lady is radioactive! Trust me on this one...

Curly said...

Sorry to only pick up on a tiny detail of your post but... Zane Lowe...

Not really heard much of him over the last year but I'm liking the guy more each time I hear him - bloody good taste is music. Perhaps you could have got a couple of hot-new-band tips from him while you pissed in his lawn?

Huw said...

Hmmmm.... more of a Beth and Huw man myself...

Curly said...

Agree, Huw Stephens is excellent. Met his buddy Mike Davies in a party a few weeks ago, he didn't say much. Gave me a few tips for new bands, can't remember any of them as I was steaming (and slightly distracted by the orgy going on upstairs). Beth Elfyn has a lush voice, although not as nice as Sara Elgan.