Friday, July 08, 2005

Rubbernecking

I managed to find myself at each of the bomb sites at various times today. Firstly Liverpool Street, then a tube passing through Edgware Road, then on a bus past Edgware Road again, and then onto Euston Road. Whilst at Euston, I nipped over to look down towards Tavistock Square. The perma-tanned Jeremy Thompson from Sky was holding court at the top of the street in a sort of pagoda, and ITV’s quite-gorgeous-up-close Felicity Barr was pacing back and forth. There was a bad tempered and ugly scramble to interview two distraught young guys who were carrying an enlarged photo of their still missing friend. Large sheets spread across the road restricting our perverse desire to stare at the wreckage. Aside from the police, the flowers, the limited road closures and the TV crews, everything seemed back to normal; it was surreal in a very ordinary way. I was interviewed by a Brazilian journalist for a bit, and then headed round to the south side of the Square to where my old University department sits. There's a third floor common room overlooking London's "Square of Peace" there, and from my vantage point I could see across to the mangled bus. It looked… It looked a lot like it did on the telly.

4 comments:

Claire said...

I can imagine the surrealism of seeing it all first hand after seeing it on the news. I'm glad that things were generally getting back to normal though...just further proof of London's resiliance!

Surviving Online Dating said...

Hi,I am so sorry about what happened in London. Stay strong.

Toronto,Canada supports you.

VENUS said...

am glad things are better in London. Knowing that it happened so close to the psych department gives me the chills.

Shane said...

Very impressed by the adaptability of J D Wetherspoons - a quiet yet moving tribute. Also, stick with news presenters - I believe we have a rich seam of talent here in the UK - though beware independent regional TV.