Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Big Murdoch is Watching You

My Mum has had Satellite TV installed at our house. Now, without wanting to sound like too much of a snob, I find the sight of the dish rather vulgar, and it’s RIGHT next to my old bedroom window. I never thought I’d see this day come.

But don’t worry, she didn’t get it so we could have Sky One pumping Simpsons and COPS reruns non-stop into our living room, or so we could further feed those ‘orrible Premiership football teams’ greed. No, it was so we could get the Welsh channel S4C (and the ever riveting S4C2 with its Welsh Assembly broadcasts).

Subsequently, I’ve really been getting into Pobol y Cwm lately. Now, my grasp of the language is very sketchy at best, but I’ve been drawn in by the current moralistic storyline involving the chapel minister and his ethical dilemma of him and his wife allowing the village’s lady-who-moans-a-lot (I don't know their names yet. But I think the Minister is called Owen, and as far as I can tell there isn't a Huw character at the moment) to be a surrogate mother for their homeless foetus. Hard hitting drama can surmount the mere barrier of language any day.

2 comments:

Shane said...

Heh, that sounds bloody good. When my folks got the dish on the house, it was for purely decorative reasons - "t' show a bit o' class, y' know son?". Och...

Bear of Little Brain said...

All hail the mighty Pobol y Cwm! Many a bored student afternoon in Aberystwyth was spent trying to figure out what the hell was going on. D'you it gave that Griffith fella his first big break?