Wednesday, April 27, 2005

It’s refreshing to see that the UK is still (to some degree) resisting the cult of health and safety and the climate of free-for-all suing that pervades elsewhere. People not taking responsibility for their own actions, striving to blame someone else, it really pisses me off. It's absurd how our society sometimes caters for the terminally stupid, encroaching on our freedoms to safeguard the irresponsible and the daft. In days of old this didn't happen; it was called natural selection.

It reminds me of a time I was in the Alps in Switzerland, and my friend took me to one of the observation towers they have dotted round the mountains. These towers are made of steel and some are over 100 foot high. They are unmanned and you can climb up a spiral staircase to a platform at the top which offer spectacular views and poo inducing vertigo. They are very similar to this monster from Bulgaria.

We reached the top, and I was a bit out of breath and gripping on tightly.

“Bloody hell, you wouldn’t get these in the UK”.

“Well, you don’t have the views we have.”

“No, not that. I mean, the safety issues.”

“Huh? These are very sturdy. Excellent engineering.”

“No, I mean, someone might jump off”

She looked at me incredulously

“Why would anyone jump off?”

Still, when all’s said and done I still won’t be venturing in until the summer, unlike some of the crazies the pond attracts.

No comments: